Wednesday 10 December 2014

Thank God we can choose our friends.

Mary and Max (dir. Adam Elliot)

Brilliant and so damn depressing - that's pretty much what the film was.  It was also an example of one of my favourite things: When people write sad shit and play it under a happy, innocent light. Things that look cheery but really, are the exact opposite. It was such a good watch, it had me feeling so many emotions scene after scene and the writing was so beautiful, so gorgeous. I really enjoyed this film, guys and I do recommend.

Also, the late Philip Seymour Hoffman (gamemaker from thg) plays Max, Toni Collette (mum from lil ms sunshine) plays Mary and Dame Edna narrates. Cool lineup.

The Secret World of Arrietty (dir. Hiromasa Yonebayashi)

I enjoyed this also but not as much. Not as mystical as many ghibli films but just as whimsical. First off, these dudes reaaaaaaaaaallly know how to make a character simply look hate-able. Secondly, so pretty. Thirdly, it's a nice watch but not something that will kill you if you don't see it. But that's not to say it's not good, it is. It just didn't interest me as much as other movies did. Still, very pretty! And lol, I watched the english dub because I couldn't put the jap audio file into my media player so I had play it on a separate one and then line it up but instead I gave up and ugh. But it wasn't so bad because Amy Poehler voiced the mother and I heart AP.

lol which brings me to the next thing:

Parks and Recreation (creators. Greg Daniels, Michael Schur)

It's pretty funny. For some reason, I thought that I wouldn't like it because for some stupid reason, I thought that if I liked Tina Fey, I wouldn't like Amy Poehler, as if they were rivals (even though they besties irl?). And I thought it was like a cheap knock-off of The Office lol Turns out they have the same writers. Anyways, it's great. Pretty rad sitcom that many people should definitely get invested in. I miss 30 Rock and I miss The Office more. Thank the lord P&R is still making seasons. I hate when shows end. I just hate it.

Fun story, the first show that I ever saw ending was Everybody Loves Raymond when I was a kid. They were showing this special segment on TV about the cast and writers talking about the finale and Ray Romano was like, "we just ran out of ideas" and legit, I was so sad. I wasn't even that invested in the show, I just felt so bad for them, like something they made was over. But I've grown up now. ... I don't know why I wrote that last line, nothing's changed, I still get upset LOL

Anyways, I've watched 2 ot of the 13 things I said I wanted to watch. Cool. They were two of the three animations lol tbh, I would've watched the jesus and buddha anime movie but I couldn't find the right subtitles hahaha too easy.

Anyways, read this one last thing:

I know a woman in her 30s: she’s married, she has a toddler, and she desperately wants a second child – but a dangerous medical condition means that having another baby would be life-threatening. Despite being careful, she got pregnant. She had an abortion because she wasn’t willing to risk her life and leave her child motherless, but she still feels a deep sadness.
I know another woman, in her 20s, who had a shitty boyfriend (but no kids) when her birth control failed and she found herself with a pregnancy she knew she didn’t want – a pregnancy she wasn’t ready for. She was upset about the situation, but had no doubts about what she wanted to do and, after the abortion, no regrets. She rarely thinks about the pregnancy or the abortion anymore.
If you’re like a lot of people, you probably have much more sympathy for the first woman than the second. Though the majority of people in America and Northern Ireland and so many other places believe abortion should be legal, too many of us still think about reproductive rights as if there’s a hierarchy of good and bad abortions – the kind that women “deserve”, and the kind women should be ashamed of.
But those two women? They’re both me.

this chick, [the rest of the article]

Wasn't that amazing? I really liked it because it sums up the whole pro-abortion argument so well.

Okay, das all, thanks for reading!!!!!!!!! Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment