Monday 24 June 2013

Future Fears, yet again

I don’t want to become a biomedical engineer. I never liked any of the work I was doing this semester. I found some aspects of the degree interesting, but in the end, I hated my subjects. I didn’t do well in anything, and if I go on with this degree, it’ll be the same story over and over and over again. By that, I mean the coming semester will be a continuation of the first, so I’ll be doing the same things, or really, struggling with the same things. And I know, I’ve been told, that I still have a lot of time left, to find something better, something I’d much rather prefer. But that comes with two predicaments. Number one being that It conflicts with the very ideals I grew up with – that life was way too short to waste. You can’t keep changing any time you like – time is precious. But that in itself comes up with arguments like, well life is short. And time is precious – too precious to waste on a life you don’t want to lead. Of course, the notion that I shouldn’t lead a life I don’t like is a lot more important. But so is money.

I know a lot of you are thinking, really, I should buck up and just do the work. Work through this period of my life, because life isn’t kind, and nobody really gets what they want. They get money, instead. And I know I have problems with that. What I don’t know is what to say to justify my ways and that’s probably because there’s really no way I can.

And then there’s the second predicament. And it’s one that you guys have read about a lot of times on this blog. The problem that I have found something I’d much rather do, but I’m just too gutless to go for it.

I often dream about how my life will go. And in my dreams, I’m never an engineer. I’m alive, and I’m happy, and I’m in a multitude of variations of how my life turns out. In one, I’m an actor. I drop out of university to become one. People look down at me and grieve my future. But I’m a small character in a big movie. An Australian director’s casting crew hire me and I say only one line but it’s more than what extras say. And I’m in a few short films too. Eventually I move to America, and I work, and weasel my way into roles anywhere I can. And there I am, on the big screen, for more than two minutes. And from there, I grow, and I get more and more famous. Maybe I’ll never be famous enough to appear in magazines, but one or two people will notice me, the boy who appears in certain movies and disappears. It’s a boring dream, really. But in it, I’m happy, and that’s good enough for me. I just need to be brave too, and I’ll get there. I’ll get somewhere.
In another world, I’m a mediocre citizen and I marry a policeman and we have beautiful children and I’m absolutely happy. I’m not bored, I’m not dissatisfied with where  I am because I found the love of my life, and he too, is beautiful, by the way, and I have children who I can be proud of and can grow to be kind and loving and good.

But none of those really matter, because there’s only one world right now. There’s only one world where you are reading this blog, and it’s this world where my cowardice or my ambition can change everything. And you can only ever live once, right?


I call these segments “Future Fears” because I’m only ever fearful. I’ve been afraid so many times that I’ve lost count of how many of these there are. I have many fears, I do, and among the largest are loneliness, regret and the very future itself. Because it’s a scary thing. And I believe that what scares me the most about it is that it’s in my control. And the pressure is overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment